Top Tips for Summer Skin
Get Outdoors WITHOUT Sunscreen!
You may be thinking to yourself, “Are you going bonkers, Elizabeth?! My dermatologist told me to always wear sunscreen, even when it’s cloudy!” To that I say, I may be going bonkers but I’ve also looked at all the research that shows what a huge impact Vitamin D has on our bodies and how incredible a nutrient it is.
Here’s a quick rundown of Vitamin D and how it’s inhibited by using sunscreen.
- Most important nutrient involved in immunity, including autoimmunity
- Vitamin D helps regulate our mood, we notice this especially in the Winter months
- Vitamin D is a precursor for making cholesterol, without cholesterol our hormones would be completely out of whack
SPF + Vitamin D
- SPF blocks UV rays which means that when we have SPF on our skin we don’t absorb Vitamin D
- Without adequate Vitamin D, we don’t make enough cholesterol – both of these are crucial for managing hormones, immunity, and health
- Aluminium in conventional sunscreen also inhibits cholesterol production
Sunshine + Vitamin D
- Try to be in the sun without any sun protection (sunscreen, protective clothing, etc) for at least 10 minutes or as long as possible before you feel like you’re burning – and then cover up or use a natural sunscreen!
Many products these days have phthalates, fragrance, parfum, and are absolutely laden with chemicals. These ingredients are major hormone disruptors and have been traced back to various cancers.
Use a Clean Sunscreen
- Conventional sunscreens vs. natural sunscreens actually work entirely differently, believe it or not! Conventional sunscreens, which are loaded with chemicals, are absorbed into the skin whereas Natural sunscreens, which are mineral based act as a protective layer on the skin and are not absorbed.
- You do need to reapply more often as sweating and getting wet degrades the protective barrier of natural sunscreens.
- Natural Sunscreens are also better and safer for the environment, particularly waterways (lakes, oceans), and coral reefs.
Top 5 Natural Sunscreens:
Hydration, Hydration, Hydration!
- It is so, so easy to become dehydrated when you’re out in the sun and dehydration and excess sun and heat exposure can lead to heat or sun stroke which is not any fun! This is part of the reason it is SO important to stay hydrated, especially in the summer.
- Easy ways you can stay hydrated is by drinking lots and lots of non-alcoholic, sugar free drinks. I’ve even written a post with some delicious and refreshing hydrating options for you!
- Eat lots of hydrating foods like: cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, peppers, honeydew melon, berries, and lots of dark leafy greens
Wear a hat!
Did you know that a wearing a hat is a much better way to protect yourself from UVA/UVB rays than by slathering on sunscreen?!
Find a great baseball cap or a awesome wide brimmed sunhat and wear that while sitting in the sun reading your favourite magazine.
Choose Clean Skincare Products
- Clean skincare products, from your hand soap to your face cleanser to your foundation and skin lotion, have huge impacts on your overall health.
- Many products these days have phthalates, fragrance, parfum, and are absolutely laden with chemicals. These ingredients are major hormone disruptors and have been traced back to various cancers. These chemicals are also drying to your skin, so you can say bye bye to glowing summer skin.
Some of my favourite skincare brands are:
- Consonant Skincare
- Graydon Skincare
- Ilia Makeup
- Ananda Makeup
- Green Beaver
- Dr. Bronner’s