I have a little story to tell you… Last Sunday at the farmers market, I bought 2 HUGE zucchinis for $2, I questioned the farmer on the price because it was literally like 5 pounds of zucchini. Anyways, the plan was to chop up both zucchinis and steam them and freeze them for smoothies. I got through the first zucchini and was did have any more room in my freezer for the second zucchini so I decided to make it into a loaf. All I needed was two cups which can like 1/3 of the zucchini lol. I’ll still probably freeze the rest of it. Anyways this Double Chocolate Almond Butter Zucchini Cake is actually one of the greatest things I’ve ever made. I knew you’d all want the recipe because, well you’d be crazy to not want it!
This recipe also checks all the boxes, it’s gluten free, refined sugar free, and is packed full of zucchini. I’ll also share how you can boost the fibre and make it grain-free, just keep reading!
Zucchini is ripe for the picking right now and you should definitely pick some up at your local farmers market because it’s loaded with nutrients and is easy to add to anything and everything. I also like to chop it up, steam it, and then freeze it. I add the steamed then frozen zucchini to smoothies to make my smoothies thick and creamy without adding extra fruit like bananas, not that there’s anything wrong with bananas.
Why I Love Zucchini
• Anti-inflammatory: zucchini has been shown to in addition to water have a specific type of carbohydrate called polysaccharide and a specific fibre called pectin. These nutrients have been shown to improve cardiovascular health and aid in overall anti-inflammation.
• Antioxidants: zucchini is a great source of vitamin C and alpha and beta-carotene. In many nations, zucchini is the main source of these antioxidants. Most of the antioxidants are in the skin of the zucchini so it’s important not the peel this summer squash!
• Digestive Health: zucchini is an amazingly soothing food. It’s often used to help people with IBS, IBD, and diverticulitis. Due to it’s high water content and gentle fibre, it helps constipation, leaky gut syndrome, and overall digestive discomfort.
Now let’s get to the recipe, shall we?!
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (with skin on)
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking dish or cake pan or loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Combine melted butter and coconut sugar in a bowl and whisk until mostly dissolved. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, raw cacao, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients and using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold together. Add in zucchini and chocolate chips and combine together.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a crumb. This cake is very moist, so you toothpick won't and shouldn't come out completely clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
** Grain Free: swap gluten free all purpose flour for all almond flour ** Fibre Boost: Add in 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds