These chicken fingers are very simple and the ultimate comfort food if you were the type of kid who loved those frozen chicken fingers.
I remember when I was a kid, when there were nights that my brother had hockey and I had dance, or when we both had swimming lessons, my parents would through chicken fingers in the oven for a speedy dinner. I still love chicken fingers, but my taste has become a bit more ‘sophisticated’ and I also understand the power of food and how what we eat can either fuel or fail our bodies.
These chicken fingers can totally be frozen and taken out and popped in the oven from frozen on those busy nights of running around. I love to serve these with white potato and sweet potato wedges and a big green salad.
These chicken nuggets are grain free, AIP, Low FODMAP, paleo, and gluten free, so they will feed whoever arrives at your table for dinner.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups hemp hearts
- 1 cup corn meal (non-GMO/organic)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon italian herb blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or set a wire cooling rack inside a baking sheet.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch thick strips.
- In a plate or pie plate, whisk egg with 2 teaspoons of water.
- In a separate plate or pie plate, combine hemp hearts, corn meal, and spices.
- Coat each chicken strip in egg and then dip and coat in the hemp heart mixture. Gently tap off excess coating.
- Place coated chicken strips on a parchment or wire rack lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Pro Tip: Bake chicken fingers on a wire rack to ensure crispy, evenly cooked chicken, the wire rack allows for air circulation all around the chicken fingers!