Valentine’s Day is literally around the corner, ahem, its tomorrow, so you might just want to grab a nice bottle of kombucha and a cute card for your loved one. We all know Valentine’s Day is no big deal until you forget about it.
So, while you’re planning an elaborate day full of love and surprises, why not also plan a delicious and cozy night-in? There’s nothing more romantic and sweet than cooking some delicious food together and then enjoying it with some candles and wine (or kombucha if you’re me!).
This delicious chicken recipe is actually my take on a very inauthentic Chicken Mole, which is a traditional Mexican dish, known for it’s chocolate and spicy notes. Traditionally, Chicken Mole takes hours of time to marinate and the cooks low and slow, it also includes some slightly obscure varieties of peppers, so I took the liberty of making a recipe that highlights the chocolate and spicy notes, but is much simpler.
If your body doesn’t agree with beans, skip them, you won’t miss very much, just add extra avocado and greens.
When buying corn tortillas, look for Organic and Non-GMO (genetically modified) as corn is one of the most genetically modified and sprayed crops. My favourite brand of tortillas (and tortilla chips) is Alba Lisa.
- 3 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable or chicken broth
- 3-4 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons cacao powder
- 1 cup black or pinto beans, cooked
- sea salt and pepper
- corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 1 lime, sliced (optional)
- microgreens, to garnish
- In a large pot, heat 2 teaspoons of oil. Add in onion and 3 cloves garlic and sautee until softened. Add in bell pepper and continue to sautee. Add all the spices to the pot and stir until fragrant. Add in the tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of broth, stir to combine. Add in the chicken thighs and cover with a lid. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- In the final 30 minutes of cooking time, make your mashed beans. In a separate small-medium pot, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil. Add your cup of cooked beans and the remaining 2 tablespoons of broth. Using a fork, mash your beans and add in remaining 1 clove of minced garlic. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from pot. Remove skin off of the chicken and using a couple of forks, shred the chicken up.
- To assemble, warm your corn tortillas and spread bean mixture onto tortilla. Top the beans with shredded chicken and extra sauce. Garnish with diced avocado, lime wedges, and micro greens. Serve with hot sauce if that's your jam and enjoy!
Happy Valentine’s Day! I hope you love these tacos as much as we did!